Unphysical effect in LOCPOT when using Dipole Correction?

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

hakanhugosson

Unphysical effect in LOCPOT when using Dipole Correction?

#1 Post by hakanhugosson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi,

I am studying a Fe-slab with adsorbed atoms on the surface, among other properties I am studying the work function.

When I model this system using an asymmetric (adsorbed atom only on one side of the slab) slab and applying a dipole correction I find that when plotting the planar averaged potential as a function of z-value there is a "kink" in the potential in the center of the vacuum region (around 10 ? vacuum), i.e. the potential from one side of the slab does not converge to the same value as from the other. I find this to be clearly unphysical, and when modelling the same system with a symmetric slab (adsorbed atoms on both sides), or turning off the dipole correction this "kink" disappears. The converged value of the potential in the vacuum region is also slightly different. Has anyone seen the same behaviour? Comments? Glad for any help.

My solution so far is to model the system with a symmetric slab, with atoms on both sides, but to me it raises questions, especially when comparing results to results from calculations using the dipole correction.

I am using VASP 5.2.2, and can provide input files if called for.

Yours,
H?kan Hugosson
Last edited by hakanhugosson on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Unphysical effect in LOCPOT when using Dipole Correction?

#2 Post by support_vasp » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:24 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP