Non-self consistent steps with charged systems

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

CStar

Non-self consistent steps with charged systems

#1 Post by CStar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 pm

I am using VASP 4.6.31.

My system is a deprotonated acetic acid molecule, i.e. CH3COO-, so I set NELECT=24 in the INCAR file. After the initial non-self-consistent steps however, there is always the message

BRMIX: very serious problems the old and the new charge density differ
old charge density: 23.00000 new 24.00000

since the normal number of valence electrons (i.e. 23 for CH3COO) is used during the non-self-consistent period. Firstly, is this a problem? The difference between the total energy for the acetic acid and the deprotonated acetic acid is very small in my calculations (~2 eV vs. ~15eV when I use Gaussian), and I wonder if this could be the problem. Is there some way to tell VASP to use 24 electrons also during the non-self-consistent steps? Does it even matter that 23 electrons are used initially (if so then then some other problem must be causing the very low value for the deprotonation energy).

One more thing: if I want to run a calculation without any non-self consistent steps, then I set NELMDL=0. When I do this however, I still get five non-self consistent steps. Is something else over-riding the NELMDL flag (I am using ALGO=NORMAL)?
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>
Last edited by CStar on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Non-self consistent steps with charged systems

#2 Post by support_vasp » Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:42 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP