Segmentation Fault in BSE Calculation Post-G0W0

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

marco_vitek

Segmentation Fault in BSE Calculation Post-G0W0

#1 Post by marco_vitek » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:19 pm

I am encountering a persistent issue when attempting to run a Bethe-Salpeter Equation (BSE) calculation following a G0W0 calculation. Despite sufficient memory resources, the job consistently crashes with the following error messages:

Code: Select all

allocating two-electron 4 orbital integral table    4    8    4    8
BSE setting up matrix
srun: error: b035: tasks 0-7: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
slurmstepd: error: mpi/pmix_v3: _errhandler: b035 [0]: pmixp_client_v2.c:211: Error handler invoked: status = -25, source = [slurm.pmix.8105789.4:1]
The calculations are being run on a node with approximately 1TB of RAM, and monitoring shows that the job crashes while around 700GB of memory is still available, suggesting that this is not a memory-related issue.

I have attached a tar file containing all input and output files, along with the run script, for your reference. Any insights or suggestions to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Segmentation Fault in BSE Calculation Post-G0W0

#2 Post by pedro_melo » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:03 pm

Dear marco_vitek,

Your system is quite big for us to use it in debugging. Do you have a smaller one where the same issue occurs?

Kind regards,
Pedro

marco_vitek

#3 Post by marco_vitek » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:35 pm

Dear Pedro,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, I do not have a smaller system available. However, I can confirm that the exact same error occurs even if I rerun everything with just a gamma point instead of a 2x2x2 k-point grid.

Kind regards,
Marco Vitek

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by pedro_melo » Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:43 am

Dear Marco Vitek,

Thank you for your reply. After having a look at your POSCAR, it seems to me that this is a system where two Li atoms are in a solution of NH3. Is this correct? If so, I think that you not use more that the Gamma point in your KPOINTS file. Otherwise you will be enforcing boundary conditions.

While I look into this I have a question: did you try running this job with other flavours of VASP, namely the Gamma-only version, vasp_gam?

Kind regards,
Pedro

marco_vitek

#5 Post by marco_vitek » Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:58 pm

Dear Pedro,

Thank you for your assistance.

The system is actually more complex, involving two lithium cations and a solvated dielectron in ammonia. The k-points are used because the GW DoS fits well with experimental PES measurements (https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aaz7607), though I'm not entirely sure why. I am now interested in optical properties.

I also tried using vasp_gam, but encountered the same segmentation fault.
Kind regards,
Marco

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by pedro_melo » Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:04 am

Dear Marco,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking into your files and trying to understand where the issue is and if your workflow is appropriate for the system in question. Reading your INCAR.BSE I found that you are using ANTIRES=2. Any reason as to why you want to go beyond the Tamm-Dancoff approximation? Usually this is not needed, so I am wondering if you have a reason to think that the coupling between the resonant and anti-resonant blocks is important.

Kind regards,
Pedro

marco_vitek

#7 Post by marco_vitek » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:29 am

Dear Pedro,

Thank you. I chose ANTIRES=2 based on suggestions that it might give more accurate results, but since I'm still learning BSE and TDDFT, it was mainly exploratory.

Kind regards,
Marco Vitek