incorrect band structure with HSE06

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

cantele
License Nr.: 5-1760

incorrect band structure with HSE06

#1 Post by cantele » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Dear all,

I'm experiencing something strange when calculating a band structure with the HSE functional.

The steps I follow are :

i) run self-consistent calculation at PBE level (EDIFF=1E-7), the resulting WAVECAR is used in the next step

ii) run self-consistent calculation at HSE level after adding the following lines to the INCAR:
LHFCALC = .TRUE. ; HFSCREEN = 0.2
ALGO = Damped ; TIME = 0.4
PRECFOCK = Fast
The K-point file is the same as i), and looks like:
4x4x4
Monkhorst Pack
4 4 4
0 0 0
The resulting WAVECAR is used in the next step

iii) run self-consistent calculation at HSE level after the bands structure k-point path as been APPENDED
to the previous KPOINT file, assigning to these k-points zero weight. Of course, self-consistency is immediately reached
because the starting WAVECAR already contains the converged wave functions, as calculated in ii)

The point is that this procedure FAILS, because the band structure is meaningless.

The way in which I manage to obtain an acceptable band structure is to modify step ii) adding NKRED=2 to INCAR, whereas this flag
is remove in iii).
This second procedure should give just the SAME result as the first one, because in this case the wave functions in ii) are more approximate,
but iii) does not immediately converge, and several scf steps are required to converge to the ground state. What is really surprising is that
the two procedures give the SAME ground state energy and the eigenvalues, calculated at the k-points of the 4x4x4 MP grid are the same,
whereas the additional eigenvalues in step iii) relative to the k-points in the band structure path are completely different.
So, I would conclude that the two procedures lead to exactly the same ground state, but for some reason the first one fails at
diagonalizing at the additional k-points (not involved in the ground-state charge density).

I would really appreciated any hint to understand what is happening.

Thanks,

Giovanni

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: incorrect band structure with HSE06

#2 Post by support_vasp » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:38 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP